Thursday, July 30, 2015

"Landline" by Rainbow Rowell

July 30, 2015



Landline

Author: Rainbow Rowell

Narrator: Rebecca Lowman

Unabridged: 8 hr

Published: 07/08/2014

Publisher: Macmillan Audio

Genre: Fiction

 

*********************************************************************

One of my main problems with my 90 mile a day commute is staying awake while driving.  Fortunately, my friend, Susan, turned me onto the joys of audio books.  The narrator keeps me awake by taking me into a whole new world of full of interesting plot twists and fictional characters. 

Tonight, I finished listening to "Landline" by Rainbow Rowell.  It was excellent!!!  This is definitely an author whose work I want to read more.  And Rebecca Lowman's narration truly brought the characters to life.

I won't give away the details of the book, but the basic gist of it is that the main characters, Georgie and Neil, are a married couple who, while they still love each other, have grown apart.  Separated at Christmas, Georgie tries calling Neil, but her cell phone is dead.  So she calls him on the old landline in her childhood room.  Instead of reaching Neil in 2013, though, she reaches Neil in 1998.

While totally unrealistic, the story was charming, the characters were very likable, and the narration drew you in and didn't let you go.  In fact, I had trouble getting out of  my car in the evenings when I arrived home--I wanted to keep driving so I could hear more.

This is a book I would definitely recommend!  *****

1 comment:

  1. Love - love - love those audio books. It is the only part of 'work' that I miss :) Glad you liked your latest. Is it yours or did you borrow it ?

    ReplyDelete