Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The Test I'm Glad To Have "Failed"

March 3, 2015


My mom was 27 years old when she was first diagnosed with breast cancer.  At 35, she underwent a double mastectomy.  Thankfully, she has been cancer free for over 30 years.

In addition to my mom, my grandmother, great grandmother, 3 great aunts, and various cousins have all gone through breast cancer.  With such a strong family history, I have lived with the knowledge that it is just a matter of time until I will receive my diagnosis.  It is just something that I've accepted.  In fact, when my husband and I first started talking marriage back in 1993, I sat him down and warned him of what he would need to face with me.  God love him, he said he would stand by me and love me no matter what---and he's a boob man!

Last month, my mom had to have emergency gall bladder surgery.  When she went over her personal and family history with the surgeon, he focused in on the breast cancer history and wanted to know if I had had genetic testing to determine if I had the gene for breast cancer.  When he learned I hadn't, he insisted that I be tested.

So on February 3, 2015, I went in to have the test done. Today, I was contacted with the results.  To say I was utterly shocked when I was told I do NOT carry the breast cancer gene is an understatement.  Even the nurse said they were shocked with the results.

I have lived with this cloud over my head for so many years, I wasn't sure how to react. Finally, tears came to my eyes and I thanked God profusely.  Now, understand this doesn't mean I won't get breast cancer.  But it does give me more hope that I ever had that I might not get it. Additionally, this means my mom wasn't a carrier of the gene, which gives hope that my sweet niece won't have to deal with it either.  And since men can get breast cancer, I don't need to be as concerned by my son or nephew are predisposed to it, either.

This is a test I am so thankful to have failed.  Thank you sweet, Jesus!

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  ~ Jeremiah 29:11



1 comment:

  1. I had no idea you were impacted this way with my cancer. I am beyond grateful that you don't carry the gene. I pray that you will be spared entirely from any of the health issues that plague my family lines on both sides. Keep writing, Tammy ! You've definitely got a gift

    ReplyDelete