Saturday, July 5, 2014

Getting Started

July 5, 2014

My BA is in Communications/Journalism.  Unfortunately, I have never had an opportunity to use it.  I worked 3 jobs my senior year in college, so I had no time to take on an unpaid internship.  To quote "Pretty Woman"....'Big mistake.  Big.  HUGE'--because I never got my foot in the door anywhere.  While I graduated with honors, every place I applied wanted 3 to 5 years experience, which you can't get without a job.

I've always dreamed of writing a book.  I have lots of ideas floating around in my head, but getting them put to paper has been an impossible task.  So today I attended a writer's workshop called "A Novel Idea".  It is part 3 of a series being held by the Perry County Council of Arts, and the main speaker for today's session, "Creating Spellbinding Characters" was Don Helin, author if "Thy Kingdom Come",  "The Devil's Den", and "Secret Assault".

The class was amazing.   I further developed my main character, and started forming 3 characters I hadn't originally planned on.  I learned so much and I am excited to get started on my book.  Excited, but terrified.  What if all my ideas disappear?  What if it sucks?

Oh well....only one way to find out.  Just write it!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment