Saturday, June 7, 2014

My Baby...My Young Man.

June 7, 2014

School is out for summer!  Yesterday, my son completed his junior year.  He passed all his classes and is officially a senior.  This is a very bittersweet moment.  I'm so proud of him and so glad for how much he has grown over the years, but I want him to stay my baby forever. 

But my son is now a senior.  It isn't possible.  Wasn't he just a baby a moment ago?  How did the time fly so fast?

I remember all the sleepless nights and poopy diapers when I couldn't wait for him to be "just a little" older so he'd sleep through the next and be potty trained.  Why did I wish that time away?  It was a blink of an eye.

I miss the days when I was his everything.  I miss the days when I would come home from work and he'd toddle over to the door with a big grin and a kiss for his "mama".  I miss the days when he wanted to spend every waking (and sleeping) moment with me.

Now, I rarely see him.  He is back in his bedroom, playing video games, talking to his friends on Skype, and texting his girlfriend.  He doesn't want to hang out with his dad and I anymore.  He doesn't greet me at the door anymore when I get home from work, unless I picked up supper at McDonald's.  And it is ok.  It is his right of passage to grown up and distance himself as he prepares to finish his last year of school and go off into the world.  But it doesn't make me miss those moments any less.

I am going to treasure this final year at home.  I don't want the days to pass too quickly.  I don't want to miss a single moment of this next year.  Next year at this time, we will be preparing for him to go off to college or trade school.  Hopefully, he will come home on weekends, but who knows.  Life will never be the same.

So take time to enjoy your loved ones.  Don't wish a single moment away.  They pass quickly enough on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment