Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Show Me The Money

June 10, 2014

My family and I recently completed Baby Step 2 in the Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover.  For those of you not familiar with the Total Money Makeover, Baby Step 2 is paying off all your debt, except the mortgage.  On March 14, 2014, we completed this step.  Baby Step 3, the Fully Funded Emergency Fund (FFEF), now entails saving up 6 months worth of living expenses.  To date, we have saved $1.72 in this particular fund.

Now, don't get me wrong--we have money back.  We have a $1000.00 emergency fund (Baby Step 1) and we have money in savings designated for specific upcoming expenses, as well as money back for bills.  The problem, though, is that  every time I think I'm going to have money to put into the FFEF, something comes up.  EVERY TIME!!!

So I decided I need to find a way to make some additional money.  As I mentioned previously, I work 45 miles from home, which means I am gone between 10 1/2 to 11 hours a day or more.  I don't have a lot of free time to pursue a part time job.  So I started trying to come up with some things that I'm good at doing, which I could turn into a little sideline business.  I had a period of self-reflection in which I learned...wait for it....I have no discernible talent!  That is right.  I am talentless.  :(

Oh, I  can do a little bit of this and a little bit of that, but I don't do anything well enough to turn it into a profitable venture.  How depressing is that?

My husband can do SO many things well.  My son has many talents, as do my mom and dad.  And don't even get me started on my 2 brothers.  Then there is me.  If eating and napping could be turned into a career, then I could make millions!  But, alas, that isn't an option.

I tried decorating picture frames.  They turned out so cute and everyone loved them.  No one wanted to buy them, though.   I knitted dish cloths in the past, which did go over well.  But then I got carpal tunnel, so I can no longer knit.  I'm no Martha Stewart, so cleaning houses isn't an option (not that I really wanted to do that anyway--I'm just saying!).  I tried direct sales, but spent more money trying to grow my business than I earned.  I understand you have to spend money to make money but, come on, it got ridiculous!

So now here I am, back at the drawing board.  Wait....drawing?...nope...not good at that either!!!!  :(


No comments:

Post a Comment